Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sick kids, Picnic Day and As the Garden Grows...

Today we were suppose to be leaving for our after tax season vacation to Monterey, but, Dallin and Alyssa picked up Hand, Foot Mouth disease so we had to cancel our vacation. For those who don't know much about it, you get little red bumps, some look like little blisters on your hands feet and in your mouth. It is a viral bug and goes away on its own. The bad thing about it, and the reason we canceled our vacation is it is very contagious to children, (adults rarely get it). We would have had to keep the kiddos in the stroller the whole time, which would be no fun. I had the hardest time cancelling our hotel reservation, we were all looking forward to going! Kaylee told all the kids in her preschool about all the different things she was going to see and do at the aquarium.

So we took the opportunity to finish our garden and watch a Parade at UC Davis's Picnic Day

Picnic Day:

Picnic Day was a lot of fun, they have a parade that Kaylee and Dallin thought was great! Especially the marching bands, Alyssa on the other hand was petrified and would start shaking anytime a band or loud crowd came through. We were also able to pick up a few vegetables and fruit plants for my garden.


Garden:

I have been really excited to work on a garden this year. I have spent the last couple of week researching plants and how to plant and water them. Josh built me 2 raised garden boxes and then I had the organic soil delivered this week. I took some before, and after pictures. I am trying to make it a organic garden, I purchased organic fertilizer and pest control. The only thing I was unable to find that was organic was the snail bait, but I found one that was less harsh then most. So we will see.



I had originally planned on 3 tomato plants, but I kept reading about all these different ones, so I now have 7 tomato plants. I hope everyone who lives close likes tomatoes:)

This is what I planted I think I will have some over crowding so it will be interesting to see what happens:

Tomatoes:
Early Girl -This one routinely wins taste tests in California, and produces reliably from early summer into the winter.
Sun Gold - Dries into candy. Everyone should grow it!" One of the best tomatoes ever.
Sweet 100-Unbelievably productive. A very good cherry tomato. Kids really love them. Great for salads (and slingshots!)--small enough to eat in one bite (unlike most cherry tomatoes)."
Roma-"Real workhorse of a tomato. Very productive on compact plants which don't need staking. Great flavor, even used fresh. Very reliable. The best for sauce.
2 Shady Ladies-these were from picnic day, said to be something you find at the grocery store
Costoluto Genovese-heirloom Impressive; similar to Marmande. Productive." Very fruity; acid/sugar balance is great."

Other Veggies:
2 Bell Peppers
Lemon cucumber
Armenian cucumber
Crookneck squash
Zucchini
Strawberry
Carrots
Beets (requested by Josh)
String Beans

Herbs:
Cilantro
Basil
Parsley

Planter #1

Planter #2

Herbs


Kaylee and I also planted Mammoth sunflowers that are supposed to get 12 feet tall and also kid sunflowers that will get 32" tall.


Sorry to bore you all with this garden talk, but I am pretty excited, hopefully my plants will all be productive and the bugs will stay away!

6 comments:

Shala, Darrell, & Jazzlyn said...

That is so cool abou the garden. I told Shala we could plant a garden in our field now that we have the weeds mowed down. Sounds fun.

Sorry to hear about the sickness and the vacation change. Hope they get better soon.

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Who's bored, I love it. I've been wanting to do this for so long - but been too scared because I'll let them die. Sorry you had to cancel your vaca.

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

P.S. How do you post two pictures side by side like that? Teach me.

Jeri Call said...

I wish my backyard was big enough for a garden. How fun! We haven't joined yet, if you still have that email I am interested in know what the discount is. I think they quoted us at 136 a month for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Becca said...

It looks like you're taking gardening up as a new hobby...how fun!! I'll have to try some of those tomatoes the next time we're up there. Who knew there were SO many different kinds?

The twins are getting so big and adorable. Kaiyah loves seeing the pictures of all of you on your blog. She's excited to go camping with Kaylee in May. See ya soon!

Monica Hudson said...

How fun! Any tips for us greenies?? (no pun intended!) I'd love to start a garden once we get into our new house. I did okay when I was in the west with gardening type things, but once I moved out east, me and gardening didn't seem to mix - I just couldn't figure out the climate, I think. Your kids are so cute - I just have to say that I think you are one of the coolest moms! Have fun!